Our History

The first school in the Titahi Bay district was established at Takapuwahia in 1909 by Mormon Elder Booth. It was used as both school and church and became known as the 'church house'. The building served as a meeting house for forty years and was later demolished. In the 1820-1840 period, Cooper's Ferry provided a service from a position close to where the Woodwork block is situated, across the harbour to the present Ngati Toa Domain site.

Titahi Bay Intermediate School was built on reclaimed land and opened in 1970 with Ken Prankerd as Founding Principal. The official opening took place in 1971 with one of the elders of the Ngati Toa people - Mr Rene, as special guest, together with Education Board members, the Mayor of Porirua - Mr Whitford Brown, and Dr Wall - MP for Porirua.

The school is on the old pa site of 'Koangaumu' meaning spring oven or referring to a charm depriving one's enemies of strength, removing tapu and other purposes. Titahi Bay Old Pa site.

The Blue Heron on the school monogram was chosen because of the number of Blue Heron that come into Porirua Harbour. In earlier years they were also a very common sight on the field and today the occasional heron can be seen around our buildings.

The group of stars symbolise the cosmic rising of Rigel in Orion, which to Māori people is the north of New Zealand, the South Island and the Chatham Islands, signifies the beginning of the new Māori year. The star Rigel was called Puanga and the lunar year comprised the 12 or 13 moons between the appearance of the Puanga star of one year and that of another.

Prankerd's Rock in front of the hall came from the quarry at Hongoeaka Bay. It reminds us that while the school is new, the land it is on is very old.

The mural and the carved panels in the foyer represent the history of the area from the earliest times to the arrival of the Europeans. The first carved panel on the left is the Taniwha of Porirua, the second shows Kupe killing the giant octopus in Cook Strait (Raukawa), the third represents Toa Ranagtira and his wife Te Moana, founders of the dominant tribe Ngati Toa, and the final poupou on the right is Te Rauparaha, Chief of the Ngati Toa at the time when the Europeans first arrived and his wife.

The following chant was introduced to the school in the 1980 school year by Mr Phillip Cope. The chant identifies the sacred maunga (hill or mountain), the waters of Porirua Harbour and the three main tribes who make up the people of the district: Ngati Toa, Ngati Raukawa and Te Atiawa. The last line identifies the children and the grandchildren of people in the area who render the chant as part of the school's kawa (welcoming ceremony) when visitors arrive.

Whitireia te maunga
Parirua te awa
Ko nga iwi o konei
Ko Ngati Raukawa,
Ko te Atiawa
Ko Ngati Toa e ....
E mihi nei nga tamariki mokopuna e!

© 2019 Titahi Bay Intermediate | Terms & Conditions
 
 
 
 
 
 
Powered by Rainbow Creative | 17 Jul 2019 | Admin